Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Coffee Catastrophe


Well, its been a while since I've been able to make a post, which I apologize for. There's just been lots of stuff going on, leaving little computer time. Customers haven't been too horrible, either, but I've definitely still got stories for you. Today's post is about an incident that happened yesterday.

~~~

~ A couple approached the counter with a coffee maker that they were dissatisfied with. Apparently it took a ridiculously long time to brew and it also leaked in the back. Further inspection revealed that they had been filling it with too much water. They had already thrown the box away and also didn't have the receipt because it had been given to them as a gift. The maker still looked brand new, but because of the absent receipt and box, I informed them that all I would be able to do is exchange it for another of the exact-same model. The reason for this is in case there is something defective with their maker to cause it to take so long to brew. To my dismay, the couple was very disappointed with my response.

After hearing the only available option in my power, the woman immediately spoke up. She went on this rant about how dissatisfied they were with the coffee maker, that they were willing to pay extra for a more expensive one, how just exchanging for the same one was unacceptable, and so on. While she spoke, all I could do was repeat, "I understand," over and over until she finally gave me room to speak again. When she finally shut up, I repeated to her that all I can do is follow policy, which limits me to only exchanging out for the exact same model in this situation. Of course, that still was not good enough, so they wanted a supervisor. I found one nearby and soon had permission to exchange out the maker for a different model. Shortly after, the couple were on their way into the store to find a replacement.

I was on lunch when the couple returned to exchange the coffee maker, but to provide us with the UPC number needed to process the exchange, they brought back the display model for their original coffee pot. That, of course, needed to go back out on the floor since it was no longer needed at the service desk. When I went to move the display maker into a shopping basket, tragedy struck. I accidentally tilted the device a little too much causing the coffee pot slid off it's base and onto the floor. So not only did I get angrily ranted at, I also got to clean up a pile of busted glass, all because of one couple's troublesome coffee maker. I wasn't very happy, to say the least.

2 comments:

Mike's Common Sense said...

At least you didn't get cut. Just trying to look on the bright side.

Sally said...

True. With all the broken stuff I have to handle, I've been pretty lucky so far (*knock on wood.*)

Post a Comment