Thursday, March 18, 2010

Zero to Angry in 30sec


Today's blog is another incident that happened a few days back. I'm pretty sure it was on the 15th.

~~~

~ A woman had four items to return without the receipt. What she had were two identical water filters (the kind that attach to your sink faucet) and two identical fishing reels. Because I already had an idea of what the cost of the filters were, I scanned one to find out exactly how much. None-to-my-surprise, it was $48 before tax. Because of this, I informed her that I wouldn't be able to return either of the filters without a receipt. That single item was above the amount that our registers will allow me to return without the proof of purchase. When I said this, she immediately dropped the smile on her face, propped her hand on her hip, entered Super Cocky Mode and quickly started rattling off questions and comments along the lines of:

>You only scanned one item! How can you tell me you can't return my stuff!?
>I've returned stuff more expensive than this without a receipt before, why can't you do it now?
>I've never heard of a "limit" on a the amount of return like that! Is that something new?
>You haven't even scanned all my stuff, how can you tell me you can't return it!?
>I know your other store would have already put it on a gift card by now. Why is this such a problem?

To which I responded (respectively) with:
>Without the receipt, that one, single, item is already above the maximum amount that our computers will allow me to return without an override.
>If someone else has returned more expensive items, that's their decision, but I know that returning these are not within my ability to do without the receipt.
>No, the limit is not something new, its been there since I've worked here and longer.
>I don't need to scan all four items, just the one is already over what I'm allowed to work with.
>You may want to bring the items to that store, then, because I know our policy won't allow the return here without a receipt.

Of course, none of my answers were good enough, so she demanded to speak with a manager. As I was leaving the counter to find one, she was speaking to no one in particular while she continued to carry on and complain. Its very obvious that she was doing this specifically to make a scene because she even chose to play the Race card. I was still within earshot when she said, "This is racist. She's being racist! There's no reason she can't return my stuff. She's just doing this because I'm black and thinks I stole it!"

Now, I will make a point right here that I did not, nor will I ever base my judgment on a return on someone's skin color. She could have been purple, green, or even leopard print and I still would have given her the same answer. Because of her comment, though, I altered my course. I knew for a fact that there was a manager on duty with her same skin tone, and I found her. The manager listened patiently as I explained the situation and even scoffed when I mentioned the woman's comments about me denying the return over color. She came with me back up to the service desk and had almost the exact same conversation with the customer that I did. The only difference is that she also had me check the price on the two fishing reels. They turned out to be $63... even more over the amount that I'm allowed to return. Much to the customer's displeasure, my manager also declined the return.

The moral of this story:
No means no. If you're going to throw a fit, I'm going to do my best to find a way to fight it. This is especially true if your turn to slander as your primary means of attack.

1 comments:

Mike's Common Sense said...

Don't you hate it when the blacks use the race card every time they don't get their way? PS I bet the items were stolen. I enjoy reading your adventures.

Post a Comment