Wednesday, February 24, 2010

2/17/2010


Well, our road trip was short, but it was definitely sweet. I love traveling to begin with and it was wonderful seeing my honey's family again. I really wish we could go visit them more often. As I mentioned in my "Heads up" post, I've got some rants stored up and now finally have the time to sit down and type them up. So, without further ado...

~~~

~ On this particular Wednesday, most of the day went absolutely fine. I wouldn't have had anything to rant about if it hadn't been for this one woman and her small son. They were off to the side of the line that I was serving and apparently waiting for someone to return/exchange something. They didn't catch my attention until the boy started wailing, though. The mother was yelling at the boy for something he'd done (which couldn't have been all that bad) while standing over him with his little belt in her hand. I can only assume that she'd popped him with the belt to cause him to cry like that. Her striking him with his own belt isn't even the worst of it. While he was standing there bawling, she started yelling at him to shut up. This little boy, who was sobbing uncontrollably at this point, stood there trying his hardest to force himself to quiet down. Since he wasn't doing a satisfactory job, his mother made sure to throw a few more "Shut up!"'s at him before leaving the service desk area along with whoever they had been waiting for.

Now, I didn't see how hard she hit the boy, but it really must have hurt. I've seen plenty of disgruntled children crying just because they can, but he is not one of them. He was crying for real, and a lot. It got to the point where I almost yelled at her to "Shut up," but I didn't. I really don't have the authority to do anything in situations like this unless the physical beating gets way out of hand. The emotional part, which (to me) is the worst, I have no control over at, for the most part. She wasn't making a big enough scene to report to anyone, but it sure did bother me to no end.

I know that, even though it is becoming more and more frowned upon, parents still hit their children. The fact that she popped him on the tuchus really didn't bother me that bad. It was the scene that followed which made me want to snatch that little belt out of her hand, beat her to the point of tears and then tell her to stop crying. I really do feel sorry for the boy, too. If she's that poor of a parent in the middle of a crowded superstore, I can only imagine what its like for him at home.

3 comments:

christina said...

poor boy :( people like that should have to wear chastity belts or something lol. stupid lady.
glad you had a good trip!

ellen said...

Exactly, Sally. I as thinking of that also, what is she doing with him, when they are home alone. Is it not possible, to warn someone, when you see that kind of situation? I am glad you had a great time on your trip! Have a good weekend!

Alissa said...

Here's something to chew on about the subject of Parenthood: " People need a license to drive, hunt, fish, and get married but they let any person be a parent." That was taken from the movie "Parenthood". Well parts of it I don't remember what excatly was said but you get the jest.

Post a Comment