Thursday, March 4, 2010

Shady Dealings


Unfortunately, when I made myself a note to remember to blog about today's story, I didn't mark what day it happened on. I am about 90% positive that it happened on Saturday, the 28th, though. When I arrived at the store, everything was pretty hectic. The cashiers' lanes were backed up and the service desk had a line. Making my way up to the counter, I also found that the two employees up there were only reserves who don't usually work returns unless no one else in the store knows how. So, of course, the moment they saw me, they finished the transactions they were working on and scattered like cockroaches under a bright light. It was going to be a great day.

~~~

~ Not long after I'd cleared the line that had built up and started straightening up my work area, a Spanish gentleman in a green shirt approached the counter with a question. He had a return to make, but without the receipt, he wanted to know if any of the forms of ID that he had with him were acceptable. As it turned out, he didn't have a driver's license or any other accepted, state-issued ID with him, so he asked if a friend could return his stuff for him. Mr. Green Shirt didn't have the items with him, so I agreed to have a look at them if his friend brought it in. Now, the reason why I specifically mentioned that he is Spanish is not because I'm racist or anything. Its just that his bi-lingual abilities will come into play later in this post, and I didn't want the information sneaking up on you. I also want to make a mention now that this gentlman seemed to be a bit of a fast, smooth-talker. He was definitely easy to understand, but the way he carried himself threw up a little warning signal in my head to keep on my toes.

When Mr. Green Shirt returned with two of his friends, a bag was placed on the counter for my inspection. None-to-my-surprise, the items inside of it were things that we are specifically not allowed to return without the receipt. They were little, expensive things out of the hardware section which are easy to pocket and walk out of the store with. Altogether, the 6 small items they were wanting to return amounted to roughly $60, after tax. Immediately, I informed them that I wouldn't be able to process the return without a receipt. Mr. Green Shirt frowned at this and told me that the women he'd spoken to earlier said that they would return the stuff if he got someone with an ID. I then quickly responded that their shift had already ended and that it was up to me to make the decision now, and not them. On top of that, I made sure to throw in that the only way I'd be able to refund the hardware is with a supervisor's permission.

Mr. Green Shirt slightly brightened at the thought of a supervisor and stated that one had already given the previous service reps the OK to process the return. As mean as it sounds, I would never take a customer's word on this. I'm not even allowed to take their word, and I didn't. He saw the skepticism in my eyes and, after a couple of seconds of thought, even told me the super's name. The priceless look on his face shone as if something had backfired when I then informed him of my intention to personally confirm with the supervisor of her decision and promptly exited the Service Desk area to find her.

The super he was referring to also happens to be of Spanish descent and, luckily, wasn't too far away. When I began explaining what was going on, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised that she actually was aware of the situation. She had, in fact, been asked about their return. That surprise soon evaporated into a sly realization when I mentioned her approval of the return. She immediately showed signs of anger and walked off in the direction of the service desk. She had not approved the return, after all.

As soon as my super had Mr. Green Shirt and his two friends in her sights, she immediately started going off on them in Spanish. It was so awesome! I have no idea what she was saying, but it was pretty obvious that she was denying the return for a second time. While she spoke, I slid back behind the counter and neatly collected their items back into the bag they'd been brought in with. After my super finished chastising the men and left, Mr. Green Shirt turned his attention back to me. He picked up the bag, leaned over the counter on one elbow and said in a lower, slightly frustrated, yet still smooth manner, "What'd you have to go and do that for?" All I could do was give him a shrug and a I-did-what-I-had-to-do smirk.

In the end, I don't know how much more obvious he could have made it that they stole the stuff short of coming out and saying it. He must have tried out his little smooth-talking act with the other two employees and got shot down. He may have even thought he was in luck to see the shift change. Too bad for him that no matter who is working at the counter, we still follow policy. So, he had the pleasure of getting shot down not once, but twice...in one day...by the same supervisor...the second time being in angry Spanish...so awesome...

5 comments:

nothingprofound said...

Incredible! I've never heard of that ploy before-stealing merchandise and then trying to sell it back to the store. Crooks get more ingenious every day. Good thing you were suspicious.

ellen said...

You have good instincts, Sally! I really do not like it when people are talking so smooth to me also. As if they know you and like you at first sight, not sure how to explain it. I can imagine you felt so satisfied when the supervisor corrected the "customers". Is it not possible, when this suspend is arising, you can call the police and mention it? It is almost the same as catching them on the spot, stealing merchandises in the store.

Have a great weekend!
Take care!
Ellen
www.elleninamerika.com

Sally said...

Oh goodness, Profound, because of that I'm going to assume that you're lucky little bottom has never worked in customer service before. People try to do that -all- the time. Its why we're not allowed to return small, expensive items like tools, printer ink, any kind of CDs or DVDs and make-up without a proof of purchase.

Sometimes, they're even ballsy enough to not even leave and re-enter the store. They'll walk in, grab something relatively expensive, and go right to customer service return it. Its pretty messed up, really.

And Ellen, you have no idea how much I wish that I could call the police on people in these situations, but there's really no way for me to prove that they stole the items other than by gut instinct. Besides, no matter what, I'm supposed to treat all my customers as 'innocent until proven guilty' no matter how suspicious they're acting.

Wapatu said...

It must be somewhat difficult to be suspicious in the situation that you were presented with and to know how to tactfully handle the situation. I think far too many probably avoid confrontations and allow the low-lives to get away with things. Everyone should be made accountable for their actions. Good job!

Sally said...

Oh believe me, Wapatu, the suspicion comes with the territory. ;)

Post a Comment